Friday, July 14, 2006

Wynton Marsalis, the man with the




plan to teach the world all about jazz. Our daughter, Holli, played for the Jazz Band at East Central University for 4 years. In that time, she had the opportunity to meet Wynston Marcellus, whose drive to "Spread The Gospel Of Jazz," took him away from a more than lucrative job in Hollywood.

Jay Leno asked Wynton to be his band, and Wynton accepted it. Within one or two weeks, Marsalis split? Why?




(Paraphrased) "My purpose in life is not to play next to a comedian the rest of my life, and lose my intense desire to teach the world about Jazz." Now, Kevin Eubanks' band, graces the Tonight Show, and endures the jokes and has fun doing it, beside and behind Jay Leno.

You don't have to look far to find Marsalis in the world of music. I've seen him lots on the PBS programs, always teaching, ... usually to students at prestigeous music programs.

"Learn how to make your trumbet GROWL," he says to one student who has the notes down, but not the improvisation.


I say, "If he can do that with a trumpet, I can do it with a harp." I'll steal anything I can for my harpin'.

From Scott Joplin and improvised rag to total improvisation of one musical theme. May we call it a LOOP?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home